Post graduation courses in Canada
The post graduation courses in Canada usually referred to as Graduate Diploma (Grad.Dip.) is a postgraduate qualification that is gaining popularity among international students. A post-graduate diploma is academically a level higher than a Bachelor’s but under a Master’s degree level.
Typically, a post-graduate diploma is offered for one-two years or even less. You may find post graduation courses in Canada available in almost every discipline.
Why choose post graduation courses in Canada?
Most international students choose to pursue 1 year Masters programs in Canada or graduate diploma courses over a full-fledged 3-year Masters program in Canada for the following reasons:
- Direct admission to a full-fledged Master’s program in Canada is cumbersome
- Post graduation courses in Canada is affordable and take less time to complete
- Generally, Masters degree is research-based and students prefer job-oriented courses
- Admission to a full-fledged Master’s program in Canada requires 16 years of education, whereas, in some countries like India, we usually have 15 years of education (B.Sc., B.Com., B.A., etc)
- Post graduation courses in Canada can be extended to achieve a full-fledged Master’s degree, such as a Master of Science or Master of Arts, at a later time
- Post graduation courses in Canada also provides an opportunity for students to apply for a work permit equal to their course duration, say one-three years.
Popular Post graduation courses in Canada
It is so often that people get confused because in some countries a graduate diploma is synonymous with Master’s degrees or Ph.D. degrees, while in other countries a graduate diploma refers to Bachelor’s degrees. However, post graduation courses in Canada offer a unique degree type. Below-mentioned is some of the most popular graduate diploma courses in Canada:
|Business Management||Financial Planner|
|Health care administration||Data Analysis|
|Health Science- Occupational health, Radiation Therapy||Game Development, Graphics Design|
|Science & Engineering||Wireless Networking|
|Information Technology||Logistics & Supply chain management|
1 year Masters programs in Canada
Among all 1 year Masters programs in Canada, Business Administration, Education & Biomedical sciences offer tremendous scope & opportunities for international students. 1 year Masters programs in Canada offer an easy link for graduate students who wish to upgrade their skills for better pay in no time as well as settle in Canada for a better standard of living. With enough education qualification and work experience, you can apply for Canadian permanent residence through the Canada Experience Class category.
Eligibility for post graduation courses in Canada
University-requirement for specific courses may vary from region to region, however, the minimum eligibility requirements for popular post graduation courses in Canada are as follows:
- Maximum number of backlogs per year depends on your course
- Minimum percentage in your graduation degree depends on your university program
- Language proficiency requirement- IELTS score is mandatory
Top colleges offering post graduation courses in Canada
Here are selected few colleges offering the best post graduation courses in Canada for international students:
|Ontario||Fanshawe College||British Columbia||North Island College|
|Ontario||St. Lawrence College||British Columbia||College of New Caledonia|
|Ontario||George Brown College||British Columbia||Douglas College|
|Alberta||University of Alberta||Alberta||Lakeland College|
Some common concerns
Are post graduation courses in Canada recommended if getting a PR is ultimate aim?
Of course, yes. You can apply for a job and temporarily settle on a post-study work permit to gain some work experience in Canada. Having an education experience in Canada added with work experience in Canada will boost your CRS score and better your chances of getting a Canada PR visa.
What are the job prospectus for post graduation courses in Canada?
The scope of getting a well-paid job both in Canada as well as the home country is huge. Skilled workers and professionals like Engineers, Doctors, Nurses, etc are in demand in Canada. A post graduate work permit visa offered to students after the completion of the course will help in gaining Canadian work experience based on which one for Canada PR. Furthermore, one can choose to return to their home country with international work experience, thereby having higher bargaining power in the job market. Also, it would be very encouraging to know that international students who return without a job are nil!