Popular courses in Canada after 12th


You are in the most deciding phase of your career path. The subject which you choose to graduate will determine your earning potential in the future. Among study options that are open to you, the study abroad option in Canada is noteworthy. Therefore, it is in your best interest to go through the below guide before choosing one among the popular courses in Canada after 12th.

Major courses in Canada after 12th

It remains no secret that Canada attracts lakhs of international students for their higher studies in the country. The students who begin taking courses in Canada after 12th at a young age are way ahead of their counterparts in terms of exposure and practical learning. Also, getting a job in one’s home country or otherwise in Canada becomes easy with a Canadian study degree.

Here are some of the major courses in Canada after 12th:

Management in Canada Commerce in Canada Science in Canada Nursing in Canada
BBA in supply chain management/HR/Accounting/Finance/Retail Management/Marketing/Hotel Management BCom (Finance, Marketing, Accounting, Taxation, Advertising) Engineering courses- Mechanical/Civil/Geological/Biomedical/Chemical/Computer/Mining/Material Science/Aerospace General Nursing & Midwifery (GNM)
B,Sc in Hotel Management/Culinary Arts/Hotel & Catering management/International hospitality management/Resort & event management BCA or Bachelor of Computer Application B.Sc in IT & Software/Aviation/Aeronautics Auxiliary Nursing & Midwifery (ANM)
BHMCT (Bachelor of Hotel Management & Catering Technology) Degree in Cost Accounting Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) Practical Nursing
BHM (Bachelor of Hotel Management) Animation & Multimedia, Fashion Designing, Journalism courses Bachelor of Interior design/Environmental Planning and Design Post Basic B.Sc in Nursing

Diploma courses in Canada after 12th

Specialization courses in a technical field are always in good demand in Canada. Some of the popular diploma courses in Technical field are:

  • Automotive Power Technician
  • Automotive Service Technician
  • Architectural Technology
  • Electronics Engineering Technician
  • Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
  • Data Analytics
  • Power Engineering Technician
  • Cybersecurity specialist with Co-op

Minimum eligibility requirements for courses in Canada after 12th

For any Bachelors or Diploma courses in Canada after 12th, the minimum eligibility required to study remains the same although other specific eligibility may vary depending on your choice of institution.

Bachelors courses Diploma courses
IELTS: 6.0 mandatory TOEFL: 213 is optional IELTS: 6.0 mandatory TOEFL: 213 is optional
Percentage: 70% or above in Class XII Percentage: 55%

Documents required to pursue courses in Canada after 12th

Admission for any undergraduate program in any Canadian university requires the following documents:

  • Your admission letter
  • School certificates, passport, and test scores (IELTS) documents
  • Experience letter or a letter explaining a break in academics, if applicable
  • Resume, Letters of recommendation (LoRs), Statement of Purpose or Essays, as asked by the institution
  • Transfer certificate, loan/financial documents, and relevant documents, as applicable
  • Visa documents

Top institutions to purse courses in Canada after 12th

Alberta University of Calgary, University of Alberta British Columbia University of British Columbia, University of Victoria, Simon Fraser University
Ontario Queen’s University, York University,

Carleton University, Ryerson University, University of Ottawa, University of Waterloo

Nova Scotia Dalhousie University, Capriton University
Quebec McGill University,

Laval University, Concordia University

Newfoundland Memorial University

According to QS World University Rankings, the University of Toronto, McGill University, and the University of British Columbia have featured in the top 50 for Arts, Humanities, Medical and Life Sciences courses in Canada after 12th. The mentioned universities also found their places in the top 100 for Engineering & Technology courses in Canada after 12th.

Student Direct Stream (SDS) – new Canada study permit

Canada has benefitted aspiring students from countries such as India, China, Vietnam, Phillippines to fasten their study permit processing time to an incredible 20 days, however, it usually takes up to 45 days. All other eligibility remains the same as that required for courses in Canada after 12th.

It must be duly noted that the study permit is not a visa and you will be required to apply for a visitor visa in order to enter Canada.

Your concerns addressed here

Is the time after 12th the best time to study abroad in Canada?

Ideally, pursuing any courses in Canada after 12th exposes you to the quality Canada education system as well as its lifestyle at a young age. This provides you with a unique distinction and the much-needed recognition for career prospects. Also, admission for further higher studies in Canadian institutions will become easier.

Do I need a Canada education consultant to find courses in Canada after 12th?

Not that the process of applying for undergraduate/diploma courses in Canada after 12th is difficult, but the task is voluminous. Also, fulfilling the study permit formalities or finding a suitable visa on your own may consume a lot of your productive time. It is advised to refer a certified Canada education consultant to handle your admission as well as immigration formalities.

Am I eligible to study in Canada with less marks in 12th?

Of course, you are eligible. Even though minimum marks of 70-80% are required to get admission in undergraduate courses in top universities in Canada, your eligibility and admission criteria will depend majorly upon Test scores and Language scores. With less marks in 12th, you can opt for Diploma courses which have an equally good job prospectus.